Saturday, February 20, 2016

Mark Your Calendars for the Annual Auction!


Each year, the Prescott artists donate large, collaborative paintings to the annual school auction.  This year, one generous donor donated all 12 of the canvases to our cause!  She is a friend who grew up with me in NC, and follows our students' work on Facebook.  I feel so proud of our Prescott painters, and it makes me happy that others enjoy seeing what they create and recognize how important it is for them to have art as part of their school experience.  Once we had the canvases, I created a Pinterest board of ideas that seemed like they would be possible for the kids to do in a collaborative way and that would look interesting from the perspective of student artists.  Then we got to work! Here they are!

Mrs. Edward's 5th graders just finished our last painting of the 12 paintings!  They don't have art class until 4th quarter, so we did this one in stages.  I had a few girls work on the background:  Aria, Ivana, Michelle and Karla.  Then, Wendy, Giana and Sean all created skyline sketches on poster board.  I cut their sketches into a stencil with an exacto knife and pieced them together.  Today, I took paint up to Mrs. Edwards's room, and all of the students added the paint!  They worked together so well, and Noah and Keshawn even helped me clean up when I spilled paint all over the hallway... I love this one... 


Mrs. Phares's third graders painted this city skyline during the first quarter when they had art class.  We were studying the art of Chicago, so we included some Chicago architecture!

Grades 7-8 had help from the Art Club and from the 6-7th Graders on this piece.  It took much longer than anticipated.  Students rolled magazine pages to create the circles, and we glued them in a gradient from yellow to white.

Mrs. Bigby's 2nd graders created a collage of Chicago Landmarks.  Emiliano and Alyssa worked on the Field Museum, Yaniel made Picasso's sculpture, and Jada made the Willis Tower.  Yaniel made the Bean, Sheridan and Yaquelin made the Watertower, Haley and Caden made Buckingham Fountain, and Angel, Emiliano and Rodrigo made Wrigley Field.  Scarlett and Samara worked on the Ferris Wheel.  Emma made the trees, and I had Greg paint the Chicago letters.  Several others worked on the background and on details.  

Mrs. Blundy's 2nd Graders made these balloons with construction paper and oil pastels.  I had Konrad, Jacob, Jeffry and Caleb paint the grass and sky, and then I showed them how putting all the small balloons in one spot gave the picture some depth.  I glued down the balloons with Mod Podge.  It makes me think of Dr. Seuss...

Mrs. Smith's 4th graders created this collage of Wrigley Field.  Chris, Leslie, Grace and Jaren began with the background buildings.  Christa, Gael and Adilene worked on  the stadium (Gael made the flags, Adilene the sign, and Christa the stadium structure.  Olivia made the balloons, Briana the airplane, and Cindy made the dog walker.  Jaren and Ian made the letters, Ian made the guy with a ticket, and Ava and Madison made the hotdog carts.  They worked so well on this, and we had so many little details that I had to let them make their own collages to add the extra people and carts to so that they weren't upset they wouldn't all fit!  

Ms. Stefan's class created this Chicago-themed painting.  Jasmine,  Landra, Mia and Mariah all made city skylines, and I cut them apart and collaged parts of them together.  Gerniah and Shamaya made the paintbrush, and Landra created the texture for the bristles.  Nate, Jack and Jaylon worked on the background, and Jack and Charlie helped me add the tissue paper as the paint.  
Mrs. Stewart's first graders took turns painting "LOVE" on this canvas, and then painting hearts in some empty spaces.  Every student got at least one turn working on it.  I did the spray painting on the top layer.  
Mrs. Kirshner's students did this painting so quickly!  Brenna, Ava,  Jack K and Abby worked on trees.  The others painted in the colors and collaged tissue paper to create texture.  

This painting was started by Ms. Gow's 6th/7th grade homeroom.  I had Mallory and Jasmine work on it in Art Club (Jasmine added the flock of birds).  I did the outlining for them to sharpen up the image.  I love the clouds in this one.  

Ms. Lindsey's Kindergarten class made this painting.  It was the first one we did, so I have trouble remembering who did which parts, but I know Annabelle did the star stamps, and Jonny did the splatter painting.  All the kids made sheep, and I just picked the ones that were the right size to add to the painting.  Jillian K, Jillian H and Stephen worked on the patterns in the grass, as did Oliver, Eli, Kyle and Marius.  I know they all got a turn because they worked so well independently while we did this!

Ms. Szarnych's Kindergarten class made this piece.  We had just finished our Charley Harper bird project,  so they had been collaging shapes into birds for a couple of weeks prior to this.  I cut up origami paper for them, and they worked for 2 classes just making whatever birds they wanted.  I put them all in a pile and just picked out the ones that looked finished and arranged them, sealing it with Mod Podge.  

3 comments:

  1. Ms. Ammons, every time I see the work that you produce with the kids, I get teary! The time you dedicate, the effort you expend and the instruction that you provide allows our kids to truly appreciate what they can each accomplish on their own as an artist. Thank you for making the lives of all our students and families a little brighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm so proud of our artists, and I always feel lucky to have such a supportive group of parents in our community. I can't wait to see the paintings on display at the auction!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, these look so uniquely beautiful and full of passion. Well done to you Ms. Ammons and all of the hard working Prescott students!!

    ReplyDelete

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...