Monday, May 29, 2023

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee


 My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was struggling with middle school behavior.  I tried to think of something to really reel them in, and I couldn't think of anything more intriguing than my own favorite art story.  The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum heist of 1990 fascinates me, and I have watched documentaries, listened to podcasts and even visited the museum several times.  It happens to be right next to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts and SMFA where I went to graduate school!  I knew if I told them about the robbery, the theories, and the reward offered for the still missing artwork, they would be hooked.  

Gardner Museum: March 18, 1990


We started by learning about Rembrandt, chiaroscuro, and specifically Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee.  They studied and discussed the painting, and I explained how it was Rembrandt's only seascape.  This makes it "extra valuable"!  They then watched a video about the heist.  We followed up with our own seascapes, done with simple wet on wet watercolor washes and ink drawings done in sharpie.  I let them look at step-by-step drawing guides for the boats.  Their work is really beautiful.  I love how they each made theirs their own.  

Frederick, Grade 6

Lan, Grade 6

Alana, Grade 6

Lucy, Grade 6

Mateo, Grade 6

Jojo, Grade 8




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...