Saturday, October 26, 2013

Fall Colors and Contour Lines

Charlie, Grade 1

Ruth, Grade 1

Jack, Grade 1

Jesus, Grade 1

Maureen, Grade 1
I do this project every year now.  I love to see first graders learn to think more critically about their drawing.  We start by experimenting with a watercolor wash, wet on wet, with warm colors.  The next day, we talk about trees.  We imitate how trees grow by making our arms move up and out like branches.  Thinking about direction of growth, and comparing the trees and branches to our bodies, arms and fingers help the students visualize the tree as they draw it.  It's amazing to see their trees become realistic works of art rather than the typical first grade tree.  Way to go first grade artists!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...