Saturday, March 16, 2013

Vikings Don't have Horns!

One Background and a Few Characters for the Viking Video
My favorite art class story of the week is from Mrs. Kirshner's 1st-2nd grade class.  They are creating backgrounds and characters for a video that will show what they are learning in social studies.  They will be presenting information about vikings to the school at next week's celebration of learning.  I offered them visual examples of vikings and boats to use as resources for their work, but I made the mistake of printing pictures of vikings wearing horned helmets.  They were all very shocked and offended that I would suggest that vikings had horns.  They informed me that vikings drank from horns, but they did not actually wear the horns.  My historical inaccuracy was quickly pointed out and remedied in their work.  They are obviously excited about their social studies lesson!  I love to see them happy to learn (and to teach). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...