Thursday, October 22, 2020

Watercolor Washes With Line Drawings

Ms. Ammons's Sample Artwork

This week, we will learn some basic watercolor techniques, beginning with a flat wash.  A wash is a thin, transparent layer of paint that is usually part of the background of a painting.  It seems simple, but can be tricky without learning the technique and practicing it.  

Your challenge will be to create at least 9 flat washes of color in shapes on your paper.  You should choose a color scheme that reflects the theme of your work.  On these washes, you will sketch some line drawings of a collection.  This collection should tell us something about you, making your work more personal.  

In my sample, I show that I chose nature and fall as my theme.  I used fall colors, and I drew a collection of items from my yard.  What other themes or color schemes can you imagine?  Here are a few ideas.  You can also look up "line drawing doodles" and see what you find.  

These samples are by famous artist Andy Warhol.  He chose shoes and butterflies.



Follow along in this video to do the project.  


Add your work to ARTSONIA!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...