Thursday, February 19, 2015

Printing with Legos

This project, by Mrs. Phares's third graders,  has been a big experiment.  I had no idea what to expect, and we are figuring it out as we go.  I have included the kids in the problem-solving that comes from trying a new supply and concept.  Madison and Nate W.  offered to let us borrow some legos (THANK YOU!)  and we used the blocks to press indentations into styrofoam.  I challenged them to align the blocks either vertically or horizontally, and to try a pattern.  Our first problem to solve was that you had to press very hard, and the blocks hurt little hands.  We used cardboard squares as a buffer over the blocks.  I had them print 4 times, once in each corner of a paper.  The first printers discovered we will need to rinse the foam between each inking.  It gets very sticky and rips.  We will continue next week and hopefully have some finished pieces to show off...
Angel's Print

Cindy, Paloma and Angel, Grade 3

Madison, Grade 3

Cindy's Print


1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. I can't wait for Charlie to try this in 3rd grade. He's a lego fanatic and I know he will enjoy combining his two loves: legos and art. Thanks! Amy Malelo

    ReplyDelete

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...