Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Frank Lloyd Wright Windows

I love doing this project and having it up on our classroom windows.

The colors add so much to the room.

Tracing the original design onto wax paper. 

Tracing the original shapes onto tissue paper.

Gluing the color into place.
The first graders looked at some of Frank Lloyd Wright's designs this week.  We started with a slide show of his buildings, looking for lines and tracing them with our fingers.  The students noticed the lines were mostly "side to side" or "up and down".  We discussed horizontal and vertical, and then we practiced drawing both kinds of lines on graph paper.  Then, I had them draw 3 or 4 circles inside the squares and rectangles on their paper.  They used primary colors to color a few shapes, leaving plenty of negative space.  They then compared their work to some of Frank Lloyd Wright's colorful stained glass windows.  They transformed their drawings into a window by tracing them onto wax paper and adding colorful tissue paper.  I have done this project several times, and they always seem to come out very well.  Kindergarten tried it too, but I had them color the shapes rather than adding the tissue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stormy Seas Ahead

Rembrandt's Stolen Work, Christ in the Storm on the Sea of Galilee  My favorite new project this year was one I came up with when I was...